Need a marketing workshop for your members, clients or staff?

Saturday

Sayings that remind us about good business sense


Yesterday I spoke at Winchester University's Student Enterprise Conference. I think this is the 4th year running I have been invited and, having been initially invited as "The Business Mum to the Start Up Scheme", I am now billed as a motivational speaker - so no pressure there then!

By the way this is not a photo of me!

Anyway I review and revise my talk every year not least to stop the Lecturers (who are in the hall listening to me every year) falling asleep...

Along the way I have collected some sound words of advice from other people and it does me good to revisit these once a year. They got a good reaction from a very attentive and appreciative audience yesterday so on this basis I thought I would share them with you.

Firstly about setting goals:

"If you don't know where you are going you will probably end up somewhere else."

Laurence Peter, author of The Peter Principle

Then about the need to get out of your comfort zone:

"99% of the time I haven’t achieved my goals it has had nothing to do with my level of competence. It has everything to do with indulging hesitance and fear"

from the hugely honest blog of Red Button founder Amanda Jones
redbuttondesign.blogspot.com


And about feeling a little over confident:

“The minute you start thinking that you've done it all, that's when you're in the rear view mirror."

Chris DeWolfe, the co-founder of MySpace

It also did me good to see my own mantra!

"Nothing can stop sheer determination, will and effort delivered on a consistent basis – nothing"

Do you have a saying that motivates and inspires?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments, please leave one!